Wednesday, April 6, 2011

GPS/GSM Child Phone for Talking & Tracking

It’s satisfying to see a good review of the product which I have authored in My Mobile magazine, arguably an authoritative Indian mobile magazine. In print form, I could see the product rubbing shoulders with Nokia’s & Samsung’s of the world .SatNav being a GPS products company always wanted to ride the mobile wave with carrier agnostic value added GPS location based services. We did make some forays in GPS location based mobile apps but with limited success. Carriers were not keen to give a push as they are not seeing big monies, comparable to their ring tone revenues.

The GPS child phone is a niche product targeted towards anxious parents. The child phone is tightly integrated with an effective LBS (location Based Service) platform, definitely a higher entry barrier for any one to just come in and offer these services. A very good start I should say for a small and medium company like us. We don’t know of any competitive product currently available in India, which translates to a very favorable first mover advantage scenario. We are making efforts to capitalize this situation swiftly.

Risking repetition of what the reviewer said, I would say that it’s a useful gadget for anxious parents, gives a near absolute locational control on their wards. Due to our limited resources we are currently focusing only on BTL marketing activities, which are showing some good results. I should say we are finding difficult to defend price points, and challenging margin structures prevailing in the distributor/ dealer supply chain.

My daughter goes to HPS School with this GPS child phone device, a functional demo to the primary school principal convinced her to allow this device inside of the school. I was told that no wearable gadgets, including wrist watches, are allowed inside of the school. I congratulated my self for the job done there J

No comments: